Friday 23 August 2013

From a theatre prop workshop to the catwalk!

At the end of May I said a sad farewell to Leigh and the gang as I felt Middlesbrough was just a bit too far to get on the 3 and a half hour, zig-zagging train to from Glasgow to Middlesbrough (sad times). But looking onwards and upwards I set out to look for a new job over yonder border. I was so thankful to join such a friendly, creative church (The one and only Hope Church Glasgow!) as only a few days after moving into our new flat I came by some freelance work working alongside Cassandra Belanger Macindoe who owns The Stitchery. Trained in fashion design she does a range of exciting work such as making patterns for the sewing magazine 'Cloth', teaching sewing classes and doing various other freelance work. Check out her website for more details. She was also quite recently on the first episode of Kirsty Allsops new show 'Kirstie's Fill your house for free.' 

A local fashion designer in Glasgow employed her to make two dresses that went on the catwalk at the end of July. Again unfortunately I am unable to share the projects I was working on due to copyright reasons but again would like to share that it was a great experience working with Cassandra. This was I hope only my first taster of the fashion industry and from this job I felt very inspired to try and design my own clothes. My first effort is a dress that will very soon be posted up. So keep a wary eye out!

No comments:

Post a Comment